Artichoke House, designed by 2014 Artist-in-Residence George Charman, is an interpretation of a pavilion conceived by Edward James and drawn up by architect Christopher Nicholson circa 1936. Working from original drawings held in the Edward James Archive, as well as taking inspiration from the concrete forms James built at ‘Las Pozas’ (Xilitla, Mexico), Charman’s installation proposes a renewed engagement with an unrealised structure. As such, Artichoke House is concerned with reviewing a surreal proposition as a means of exploring the relationship between image and object. Artichoke House will be exhibited in the grounds of West Dean from September 2014 – June 2017.
During the 4-week residency, Charman worked alongside the Visual Arts Students in the studios and developed plans for the sculpture. George produced a publication to accompany the installation, details of which can be found on George’s website.
|DESCRIPTION||A pavilion based on an unsigned architectural plan conceived by Edward James in collaboration with Christopher Nicholson and Salvador Dalí. The original plans for the pavilion, designed to resemble a giant globe artichoke, have been interpreted by UK based artist George Charman and will be exhibited in the grounds of West Dean College.|
|DESIGN||George Charman, from original drawings by Edward James and Christopher Nicholson (c.1936)|
|FABRICATION||PiP Partnerships Ltd|
|CONSULTANT||Elliot Wood Structural Engineer|
|LOCATION||West Lawn, West Dean College|
|FUNDING||Arts Council England, Edward James Foundation|
|OPENING||20 September 2014|
|EXHIBITION DATES||September 2014 – June 2017|